- The WYB objective is to help children learn the game of basketball, practice their skills, and have fun with their friends in a semi-competitive environment. The players are taught teamwork and the fundamentals of basketball. We encourage parents and parent coaches to learn what fundamental skills their sons and daughters should focus upon to play basketball competitively in the future.
- This program will emphasize the instruction of fundamentals and competition through games.
- Games are played on 7 consecutive Sundays from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. beginning February 13, 2022 through March 27, 2022.
- Clinics/Games will be played at Worthington High Schools or Worthington Middle Schools.
- All players will be assigned to a team regardless of skill level and contacted by the coach before the start of the season.
- There will be no evaluations. Teams will be developed based on elementary school, neighborhood, special requests if possible, and/or future middle school.
- Our intent is to have separate boys and girls leagues.
- One practice as early as February 7 will be held during the week at a Worthington elementary school between the hours of 6:00-8:00 pm lasting for at least one hour depending on gym availability.
- Should a shortage of gym availability become an issue, practices may need to be scheduled every other week.
- Games in 3rd and 4th grade leagues will be officiated by high school students.
- Games in 5th and 6th grade leagues will be officiated by licensed adult basketball officials.
- Having a league tournament at the end of the season will depend upon how many teams there are in the league.
- If any session is canceled due to inclement weather or for any other reason, there will not be additional weeks added after the final session.
- Online registration will begin on December 13 and end on January 16.
- A late fee will be charged for registrations after January 16 provided the league is not already at capacity.
- A maximum capacity will be set for registration to fit into the available gym space.
- For your child to be placed on a team, payment is due at the time of registration.
- Per WYB policy, all recreation teams must be made up of residents of the Worthington Local School District or by someone who attends schools within the Worthington School District. Exceptions can be considered if space in the program is open.
- All players, coaches, and spectators will be required to have a mask on over their nose and mouth when entering and exiting the facility.
- All coaches and spectators will be required to wear a mask the entire time while in the facility.
- Masks for players is optional while they are in the gymnasium.
- A red & white reversible jersey is required to be worn at all practices and Sunday games.
- An option to purchase a red & white reversible jersey at an additional cost will be available at time of registration or one from a previous season may be used.
- Each player needs to bring an intermediate (28.5") sized basketball to all sessions.
- An option to purchase a basketball at an additional cost will be available at time of registration.
- Players should wear different shoes into the facility than they plan to wear when playing.
- All games will be played on 10 foot rims with the possible exception of 3rd grade girls, who may play on 9 foot baskets.
- The cost per player is $100 and includes a T-shirt.
- A red & white reversible jersey may be purchased for an additional $10.
- An intermediate (28.5") sized basketball may be purchased for an additional $10.
- Late fee registration after January 16 is $15.
Please contact program director Bruce Gerber at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.